In April 1949, a group of Tarpon Springs boaters founded our yacht club (TSYC). They were also business and civic leaders of our community. Meetings were held in the Upham House Hotel until land could be purchased to build a clubhouse.
In 1954, financing was obtained and a clubhouse and docks were built and the club was incorporated. During the first year, our burgee was designed with a white tarpon on a blue field and a ships wheel in red for a more nautical appearance. An auxiliary called the “Windjammers” was formed and their fund raising efforts were instrumental in helping the club move ahead.
Thirteen Florida yacht clubs, including Tarpon Springs, decided to form the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs (FCYC) to facilitate a program of boating interests between individual clubs wishing to cruise along the Florida coasts. On July 26, 1961, articles of incorporation were filed with the Secretary of State for the FCYC. Support for yachting and legislations affecting it are other objectives of the council. Many other Florida yacht clubs now belong to the council.
In the last few years, services have been expanded and renovations are under way to improve our facility. We offer something for everyone, including: dining, dancing, sailing regattas, cruises, fashion shows, fish fries, barbecues, Sunday brunches and entertainment of all kinds.
By the way, our club has the reputation of being “the friendliest club” in the FCYC.
© Copyright 2010, Tarpon Springs Yacht Club 350 • N. Spring Blvd., Tarpon Springs, Florida 34689